Monday, October 5, 2015

General Conference

I sure enjoyed watching General Conference the last two days.  I realized how much I love each of the apostles and first presidency of the church as I listened to their inspiring words and felt the love they have for me and all the members of the church.  Elder Bednar's talk about the reason we have older men as the leader's of our church was particularly touching as he reminisced about the last six apostles and prophet who have passed away.  I remember each of them well and miss their love and testimonies.  Nevertheless, as I listened to the new apostles speak, I felt assured that they too were men of God who I will grow to love as much as I have the apostles of the past.  It was difficult to watch President Monson become so weak while he gave his talk, but it was inspiring to hear the love and respect all of the apostles have for him and to remember the amazing life he has lived and the inspiring words he has spoken over the years.  I don't know whether is time left is limited to months or still years, but I know that he is a true prophet of God and that he is inspired in the things that he says and the things that he does.  Thus, I know that the new apostles he called are truly called by our Heavenly Father.

One of my favorite talks was the very first talk of conference by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  He said, "All of us, as members of the Church, we need to make a conscientious effort to devote our energy and time to the things that truly matter, while uplifting our fellowmen and building the kingdom of God." I know that there are many times that I spend my time doing things that are less than valuable, that don't build me as a person, strengthen my testimony, or help others, and I can see how much greater my life could be if I were to make a "conscientious effort to devote [my] time and energy" to the things that truly matter, my family, the gospel, developing my talents, strengthening my ward, etc.  I am committing myself to doing better at this.  President Uchtdorf also said, "As you exercise a little faith and begin your walk as a peaceable follower of our Lord Jesus Christ, your heart will change.  Your whole being will be filled with light.  God will help you become something greater than you ever thought possible."  I love this promise, to be filled with light and become something greater.  I hope with my whole heart that as I try to be a greater follower of Christ, that I can attain these blessings.

Another talk that I loved was on Sunday morning by President Russell M Nelson.  Here are some of his words.
"Sisters, do you realize the breadth and scope of your influence when you speak those things that come to your heart and mind as directed by the Spirit?...

My dear sisters, whatever your calling, whatever your circumstances, we need your impressions, your insights, and your inspiration.  We need you to speak up and speak out in ward and stake councils  We need each married sister to speak as 'a contributing and full partner' as you unite with your husband in governing your family.  married or single, you sisters possess distinctive capabilities and special intuition you have received as gifts from God.  We brethren cannot duplicate your unique influence....

...We need women who have a bedrock understanding of the doctrine of Christ and who will use that understanding to teach and help raise a sin-resistant generation.  We need women who can detect deception in all of its forms.  We need women who know how to access the power that God makes available to covenant keepers and who express their beliefs with confidence and charity..."


I felt so inspired by this talk, and I can't wait to be able to read it in print form so I can set some goals that will help me become the kind of woman that President Nelson was talking about:  the kind of woman who makes a difference in her family, her ward, her community, who stands strong against the temptations of the world, who listens to and receives direct revelation from the Spirit and isn't afraid to share her testimony.  I'm really grateful to President Nelson for having faith in me and all women of the church that we can be able to come that kind of woman.

Well, I just felt a need to put into words how grateful I am for General Conference and some of the inspiration that I hope to put to use in my life.  I hope that I can be a voice of reason and light and truth in this world filled with the opposite.  I'm so grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and for the generous blessings I have been given, especially the gospel and my family.

This is the Apostle train the boys made during conference.

Owen being very good during the first talk of the first session of conference.

Wade marking how many times he heard the words "Jesus Christ" during the first talk.  I was impressed that my boys lasted about a half hour of listening; of course, having a snack helped a bit.



0 comments:

Post a Comment